Jennifer's Reviews > The Sundown Rule

The Sundown Rule by Wendy Townsend

Jun 03, 2011

bookshelves: animal, family, fiction, friendship, green, juvenile, midwest, weeper, reviewed
Read in June, 2011

This brief book packs a mighty punch, taking out such difficult concepts as death and religion. In this sense, it reminds me of "Bridge to Terabithia". This is the story of Louise, a young girl, who's grown up living a simple life with her father, who is a ranger, in the woods of Michigan. Her father is called away to write an article for National Geographic in Brazil, and she is sent to live in suburbia with her aunt and uncle. Louise is a huge animal/ nature lover (which really reminded me of myself), and her aunt is allergis to animals, so Louise is not able to take her cat along. She makes a friend, has simple adventurous jaunts into nature, and experiences a full range of emotions. I loved this book, as it felt so natural and so real to me. It's been a long time since I've read a book like this-- one that felt just as easy and clear as breathing. If you read this, though, be aware that animal injuries/ deaths are fairly graphic and would be upsetting to some readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sundown Rule.