Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, satire, read-in-2011, reviewed, book-club
Read from August 25 to 29, 2011

Posted on Almost Grown-up on 9/3/11

Okay, first of all, can I just say that this is one of my favorite covers to date? Look at that! Lipstick lined up the same way army men wear bullets, crossed with a pageant sash? Perfection.

I had heard so much about Libba Bray’s Beauty Queens, about a plane full of teenaged pageant contestants who crash on an island, that I think maybe I built it up unfairly in my mind. Don’t get me wrong: it was a great book, full of humor, great messages, a really unique plot, and really unique subplot.

The beginning was well-written but failed to draw me in. I kept reading strictly because of the humor and the fact that I had heard such amazing things about this book, but in the beginning, unfortunately since all we know about these girls are that they’re beauty pageant contestants, I just didn’t give a hoot about them.

Once I made it about 100 pages in, however, my opinion changed. The humor and poking at society was still there in spades, but now we started finding out more about these girls. What made them tick, how they got to the point of entering Miss Teen Dream, how they relate to others, and we find out that there is more to the plot than there seems. And I started to love all of them.

Yes, even Taylor.

This book was hilarious. Here are some phrases I want to start using because of Beauty Queens:

“They bring the giggles.” – Momo B. Chacha, Dictator of the Republic of ChaCha, p. 111

“Don’t be such a douche nozzle.” -Taylor, Miss Texas, p. 105

“It’s a whole new world of pretty.” -Miss Teen Dream theme song, many many pages

By the end of the book, I was pumping my fist and fighting the urge to yell “F yeah! Fight the power, ladies!” I was also wondering about a Beauty Queens movie in the back of my mind. Miss Congeniality meets Castaway anyone?

Rating: 4/5. Libba Bray is truly a gifted and very very funny author.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

Kristin Clarke Ooo I wanna read that!

Jennifer Ellision I've heard really good things about it!

Kristin Clarke Yeah I think I read about it in a magazine or something