Loussin's Reviews > Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 1

Jun 03, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Loussin by: My mama <3
Recommended for: Absolutely everyone
Read from January 01 to June 03, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: First time :)

Where many find it difficult to believe in this book I find it more difficult not to believe in. From studying philosophy A-level - great minds and masters such as Plato, Augustine, Irenaeus and Descartes already had exactly the right idea about life as we know it and as we don't know it. Where many, humanly, see it as completely controversial and totally blasphemous, the truth of this philosophy absolutely cemented my beliefs in the Highest thought of Love - the ultimate and absolute of all that we are; freedom- the Divine Creator (that which we are) has provided us with the beauty of choice; and experience - the ability to distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' and to decide who we are and who we want to be in the world of relative.

Neale Donald Walsch is a great representation for the ordinary human being who feels as though he's done everything right in his life but can't understand why it's all falling apart - a horrible reality that most of us have subconsciously shaped and created for ourselves. Being so terribly fed up he is desperate to know EXACTLY what is going wrong and resorts to asking; in writing WHY. WHY ME, why is this happening?! (not a direct quote but basically something that a number of us are feeling at some point in our live) His bluntness and directness is perfectly relatable and the dialogue is written in a humorous and quirky manner.

God is a pretty cool character - unexpected and this is where some find the blasphemy. I personally love it. This I believe is the way God is supposed to be. He is the all-loving and we are his children. I can't myself express his awesomeness - you must read it for yourself.

Plato was concerned with concepts of the Forms - higher versions of ourselves (or God) our souls seek to be. Even in the most Ancient times of Greece the Stoics believed God to be present in everything and everyone. Conversations with God expresses how the Bible and Christian teaching was severely manipulated and warped to change societies views and to establish higher and lower beings. This book reminds us that we are all of equal being and we are all deserving of experiencing the highest concept of love. It is only in recent periods - 1960s where fundamentalist Christians stopped interpreting and analysing and took up a literal view of its teachings.

This book is what it is. It doesn't force you into anything; it doesn't promote a new religion or following. It is not the right way. It is not the wrong way. It simply is. Only by fear are people offended - but to me the logic is sound and pure and the truth really is a beautiful thing.

Favourite quote: "Yet your teachers have told you of an angry God, a jealous God, a God who needs to be needed. And that is not a God at all but a neurotic substitute for that which would be a diety."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conversations with God.

03/07/2016 marked as: read

Patty spot on. gtreat review