Michele's Reviews > The Big Thirst: The Marvels, Mysteries & Madness Shaping the New Era of Water

The Big Thirst by Charles Fishman

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: books-of-2011
Read from July 08 to 22, 2011

I will never leave the faucet on when I brush my teeth again. I realized I do it, because I feel rich, when the water is running and I can waste water, but after this book I will stop!
I learned a lot about water. He has some fun facts that get you thinking. I felt like he was prophetic in a lot of ways. I believe the golden days of water will soon end. That our children will not know the ease and low price that we do today.

One quote I liked is the one that bottled water will not save you. I think a lot of people have three cases of water in their basement and think they are good to go, for any crisis. But the amount of water it takes is so mind-boggling they have no idea how unprepared they really are.
I felt like he was too much of an advocate for raising our water rates. That somehow, the increase would force us to use water more wisely. I seriously doubt it, pal.

I felt like he did a great job with his research. He writes well. I think it clips along a bit better than Malcolm Gladwell, with his fluidity of thought and facts. (I'm a fan of Malcom's by the way.)

The girls that spend their lives getting water, is just heartbreaking!
He says you will never feel the same way about water after reading this, I think he could be right.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Thirst.

07/13/2011