Katy's Reviews > The Strain

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

May 18, 14

bookshelves: vine-book
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon.com Vine
Recommended for: fans of horror, vampires
Read from November 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Please Note: Review based upon book received from Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review. I've read this book 3 times.

My Plot Synopsis: A plane arrives at JFK airport in New York City – after landing, before it reaches the terminal, it stops in the middle of the runway and completely shuts down. Dark and dead. The air traffic controller is unable to raise anyone on the plane – there is no answer by anyone’s cell phones. All the window shades are down. A baggage handler drives out to see what is wrong – there is no response, but suddenly one of the window shades goes up. Freaked out, she leaves. People converge on the plane, trying to get in, but the emergency entrance door over the wing is stuck. While they huddle under the plane, suddenly the door opens. But no one comes out. When someone finally looks in, they find a plane full of corpses. The CDC is called in – doctors Ephraim Goodweather and Nora Martinez suit up in complete HAZMAT gear and go aboard – to find that not everyone is dead. There are four survivors. While unloading the dead, Ephraim – Eph – notices that there are no flies. The dead are not decomposing like normal. Then, a day later, all the dead … disappear. What happened on that plane? Where are the dead people? And who is this strange old man who claims to know what is going on?

My Review: Hogan and del Toro re-imagine the vampire mythos in The Strain Trilogy. These are not the beautiful, brooding creatures of modern myth - and they certainly don’t sparkle. In fact, these are quite disgusting creatures, truth be told. The authors also tell a gripping story – moving at the speed of light while still managing good character and plot development. As of the posting of this particular review (you can read my very first review from 2009 on the Amazon site), I have read this book three times and it just keeps getting better – even though I typically am a fan of vampires, I can still appreciate a good story, even if they are the villains of the piece. Folks who enjoy a good horror story should definitely pick this up, especially now that the whole trilogy is available. The second book is “The Fall” and the third book, just recently released, is “The Night Eternal.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strain.

Quotes Katy Liked

Guillermo del Toro
“...to all the monsters in my nursery: May you never leave me alone.”

Guillermo del Toro
“What you fought was a dead man, possessed by a disease.' - Setrakian
'What--like a pinche zombie?' - Gus
'Think more along the lines of a man with a black cape. Fangs. Funny accent. Now take away the cape and fangs. The funny accent. Take away anything funny about it.' - Setrakian”

Guillermo del Toro
“Neeva looked at the puddle of Christ's tears on the floor. When the power of Jesus fails you, then you know you truly are shit out of luck”

Guillermo del Toro
“Never fly commercial. That's the moral of this story.”

Guillermo del Toro
“for in the absence of God he had found Man. Man killing man, man helping man, both of them anonymous: the scourge and the blessing.”

Guillermo del Toro
“But Felix was no longer Felix. He was a vampire motherfucker.”

11/01/2011 page 57
11/01/2011 page 145
36.0% "Grossest. Vampires. EVER."
11/02/2011 page 287
71.0% "Still feeling like crap and sleeping too much - am obviously taking the week off from editing to rest."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rose Agree! Grossest vampires! Ewww!

Katy Rose wrote: "Agree! Grossest vampires! Ewww!"

Yeah, they are really disgusting. *makes ick face* I do wish the trilogy had been wrapped up better than it was, but overall I really liked this book. I think they're doing a movie (well, of course, Guillermo del Toro...) and I'll be most interested to see how they do with that.