Pastoralmusings's Reviews > Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus

Give Them Grace by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick

M_50x66
Jun 03, 11

Elyse M. Fitzpatrick and her daughter, Jessica Thompson, team up to write an amazing book on parenting.
Give Them Grace is not a parenting manual, however. Give Them Grace is a book that reminds us that parenting manuals don't do the job that we need them to do.
The premise of this book is that the goal of parenting is not to raise good children, but godly children. If we train them to be good, there is a great possibility that they will rebel against the rules, or turn out to be hypocrites, the authors tell us. It is a very real possibility that they will miss the grace of God due to their self-righteousness. If we train them to be godly, and show them the grace of God, we can point out sin and failure while showing them that God offers a way to escape both.
Children need more than rules. We should not seek to condition them with various behavioral modification techniques. We should teach them right from wrong, and then show them how that God graciously forgives our sins through Christ. We should also teach them that God's grace is sufficient to help us/them to do what is right.
The authors explain that we must continually preach the gospel (not in pulpit fashion, but by example and daily instruction) in our families so that our children will see their need for Jesus and trust Him. That is most effectively done when our parenting is grace based instead of being founded on rules.
More than anything, parents and children need to remember that what is right will not be achieved in our own power. We must trust God for His grace.
More than a book about how to raise good children, this is a book about how to be a good parent. It is a gospel-centered book that teaches us that success only comes by trusting in the grace of God.
I highly recommend this book as a help and an encouragement to parents who wish to raise good children- children who know Jesus and His grace.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give Them Grace.