Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl)'s Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery-suspense, historical, bir-2011, 2011-release, own, own-hard-copy
Read from October 06 to 23, 2011

The Name of the Star is an excellent murder mystery that combines historical, comedic, and paranormal aspects to create a unique spin on one of history's most famous crimes. This book is excellently researched and fully utilizes the urban legends that have grown from the historical facts to create a believable modern day mystery.

I really loved the main character, Rory. She is smart and funny and really well developed. She rolls with the punches and is able to step up to the different challenges she faces and is just totally awesome. But I have to admit my favorite moments weren't the fast paced action but the small moments when Rory was hanging out with her room mates and friends. Maureen Johnson is excellent at writing girlfriends. (I also have to admit that the first 100 pages or so felt like Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins but in London. Sort of a Aurora and the English Murder, if you will...)

One thing that I have to mention is the humor in this book. It is very smartly done. There are pop culture references without being specific. I really hate specific pop culture references because it dates a book. Maureen Johnson did a wonderful job creating jokes that are funny because they are funny, not because they're relying on current events that will be forgotten about in a year.

I'm super excited that this is the first of a trilogy. The ending of this book was CRAZY AWESOME. I really have no idea where the next book is going to go, which is both exciting and kind of scary. The next book is called The Madness Underneath (awesome title, btw!) and it's due out October of 2012 and I cannot wait. Will it still follow Jack the Ripper, or will it go into a different British myth? (maybe some creepy Alice in Wonderland? I'd freaking love that). The point I'm trying to make is that I'm really hooked on this series and will definitely be pre-ordering book 2.

Overall The Name of the Star is an excellent murder mystery with a great sense of humor AND a freaking scary ghost/killer that will keep you laughing and guessing on every page. I highly recommend this book for all fans of paranormal YA or books about European boarding schools.

Pink piggy mugs....for times of extreme stress
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

Quotes Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl) Liked

Maureen Johnson
“Fear can't hurt you," she said. "When it washes over you, give it no power. It's a snake with no venom. Remember that. That knowledge can save you.”
Maureen Johnson, The Name of the Star

Maureen Johnson
“Welsh is an actual, currently used language and our next-door neighbors Angela and Gaenor spoke it. It sounds like Wizard.”
Maureen Johnson, The Name of the Star
tags: humor

10/11/2011 page 63
17.0% "very good so far, not a lot of mystery or action yet, but I suspect it will pick up soon. This book right now feels a lot like Anna and the French Kiss, but if Maureen Johnson wrote it instead of Stephanie Perkins."
10/23/2011 page 265
72.0% "oh man this book is so good! I love everything. EVERYTHING"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexandra YES! Yes yes yes. Can you tell I agree with this? LOL. I share the exact thoughts on the whole Anna/French Kiss reference. That ruled! I loved those moments too. It was an eery suspense story and yet it felt so relateable and fun :) Loved it!

Theta Sigma This was one of the first books that I bought for my Kindle and I'm glad that I did. A great page turner and I'm already looking forward to seeing how Maureen resolves the cliffhanger which was a definite "gotcha" moment.

I liked the character of Rory, but my favourite is Jazza.

Great review Amanda.