Yvonne's Reviews > Timing

Jul 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed-kindle, q3-gb-2011-read, m-m
Recommended to Yvonne by: Nikki

For the Gang Bang Q3 Challenge rec'd by Nikki. I vacillate on the ratings for this book. There was a scene early on in which Stefan, who is the man of honor at his best friend's wedding, is surrounded by a gaggle of women who are all pawing, mauling, pinching him all because he's just so cute. This just made me think, maybe this is the reason some gay bars have banned bachelorette parties.

This book was just too top heavy with women, wedding stuff & with big drama queen, aka Charlotte who is either screeching at Stefan, or curled up against Stefan bursting into tears over things like the wrong date on her invitations or hugging & squeezing him. Stefan, the gay best friend, got more action than the fiancee. At those moments I would rate the book a one.

The 10 year pining story did not line up with how Rand is originally presented to us. Stefan & Rand are just way too perfect looking & there isn't enough true conflicts. It would have been nice to have thrown in some struggles.

There is a side story with some ranch acquisition drama that was also not really believable as well.

This had potential to be a better story--cut out A LOT of the wedding stuff & reduce Charlotte's storyline & make Stefan & Rand struggle with the suddenly gay storyline or Stefan commitment issues more. I did like Stefan & Rand together and with the wedding & Charlotte out of the way, the story did improve a great deal & led me to give this a 3 star upgrade rating.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timing.

Mandapanda Charlotte was SO annoying in this book. If I was her fiancee I would have walked out! LOL. But there's just something about how Mary Calmes writes that I can't resist.

Yvonne Maybe her writing is too vivid because I could picture Charlotte all too clearly. For ex: "The point is that you do not get to treat me like that! She shrieked at me. I stepped up to her, and she grabbed me, clutching tight, the sobbing instantaneous." and this at another time: "Stefan Joss, where are you? The yell was shrill-she wanted me now. Without another word to him, I bent, yanked up my briefs and jeans, and bolted from the porch." The woman was a mess, either shrieking or crying hysterically and acting like a bridezilla & Stefan had to act like her little puppy dog & run when she called & he's not even the groom. Maybe I'll read another Mary Calmes book, but first I'm going to have to see if they're filled with crazy demanding women.