Darga's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

M_50x66
Apr 06, 08

bookshelves: work-make-build
Recommended for: corporate wage slaves
Read in March, 2008

"creative creatives creating creative creative. that's a use of the english language just too absurd to even contemplate"

one of my oldest and best friends is constantly pointing out to me what a huge masochist i am. by spending my entire vacation reading books about working, i've probably lost all right to deny it.

i read this right before microserfs, and like that book, it's surprising how deep and warm the book ends up being. it would have been so easy to just let satire and bitterness carry the whole book, but ferris works much harder than that.

the ultimate thing this book taught me is to try harder to see people as real people, instead of just some asshole that annoys me at work. his characters are very human and really wonderful.

the other great thing about the book is his use of the first-person-plural narrator. the narrator is always a "we" who is in every role at once, and it ends up having a great payoff. ferris has some interesting reasons for using that voice in the interview at the end, but for me it ended up highlighting the hyper-gossipy nature of the cast and offices in general.

this is a very human story. it struck me that way even more because it expected it not to be. it's also an odd book for me in that it's so successful on a gestalt level without being pithy or even terribly funny from page to page.

the interlude in the middle of the book is amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.