Lauren Smith's Reviews > The View from Saturday

Jun 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: newbery-awards
Read in February, 2010

Oh, it’s that turtle book again… I remember being introduced to this book about ten years ago while on a road trip. I vaguely remember turning those book-reading moments into nap moments while my mother read to me. So I was hardly thrilled to pick it up again since I didn’t like it much the first time around but let’s also consider this:
1) Ten years is a long time. Especially when that ten years separates ages 8 and 18.
2) My OCD-ness will not allow me to skip a book. Not cool.

The 200 pages were worth my while. It was unique, the characters were realistic, and it celebrates intellect and education. I’ll admit the turtle part dragged on, and the pace slowed towards the middle. The strongest aspect of this novel was the quality of voice the author implements for each of the four main characters. Their spunk and enthusiasm are just as apparent as if I were seeing them on screen. It’s clever, original and full of life.

So why don’t I like it?

I can’t blame it all on the turtles.

I guess it bothered me slightly that a group of sixth graders knew a few more things than I (a twelfth grader). But when it comes right down to it - it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Just how I don’t like Jane Austen’s Persuasion as much as I like Pride and Prejudice - I don’t like this book as much as I probably should. There’s no real or logical reason. I just don’t. I do recommend it, however, for its personality and especially its voice. It just wasn’t for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The View from Saturday.