Ðɑηηɑ's Reviews > A Game Of Thrones

A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Apr 09, 2016

bookshelves: fantasy, male-authors, movie-or-tv-series, male-protagonist, female-protagonist, protagonist-dies, royal, read-in-hebrew, adult, bestseller, magic, adventure, marriage, orphan, reviewed, rich-people, politics, rural, siblings, twins
Recommended for: Everyone, even non- fantasy freaks!
Read from August 05 to 16, 2011 , read count: 1

And there you go; the genre of fantasy is ALIVE!
Please do not let the thickness, the confusing plot and the cover deter you from reading the best epic fantasy ever written, it is gold!
Before reading experience:
Before I started, I could not make up my mind whatever or not I want to enter such a thick, unreasonably magical reading adventure. But three things made me hurry up and read: one, the fact that a whole new TV series was filmed according to the book, as one of the best around the U.S and a spectacular cast which I was very in love with (I mean, Boromir is ALIVE, mature and (dammit, old?!) Yay!), because you all know that a good TV series based on book series must be good as well. Secondly, great reviews about the book were written and some of them could not be ignored, articles about Martin appeared on the newspapers and online and nonstop comparing between JRR Tulkein's books (later made to a successful movies) trilogy. Thirdly, the slander reviews that were posted publicly in GR: I know that sometimes some really good books are not appreciated among some readers because of (as they say) a big amount of inappropriate sexuality and gross violence. Yet, the same reviews (minus the sexuality part) were posted about the legendary hunger games, remember? Well, experience had taught me that those extremely evil reviews should be ignored completely, and sometimes are nothing but an act of jealousy. Those reviews made me rush and open the book, and see for myself what sexuality and violence are in it. (btw, not much, really).
Wow'ish world:
The world Martin had created is some sort of crossbreeding (yeah, like they do in dogs) between the Middle Ages, see the honor things, wars, nobility and knighting levels, battle-love spirits, gold and murders – and the wonderful, borderless, honor-free world of the seven kingdoms Martin had brilliantly created.
Lord of the rings?
Those are quick and meaningless words about the unbelievably evil "thrones' game". Yet, I could not stop from comparing it to "lord of the rings", as many did before me during their reading process. The need to compare the worlds – or the fantastic books – to one another is probably worthless. You see, both of them, as I lately discovered, are incomparable, and not because they are so, so different, but because they are just no available for comparing! There is no point of comparing the two of them, because they are both so beautiful, the kind of settings that makes you wanna get in the book, or throw it away.
Tearing writing:
In fact, the writing, at least at the beginning, is quite elegant and very attractive. In the first chapter I had to re- read the first sentence a couple of times, until I could make one single thing about it (Gared is old, the others are quite dead) – but I would say I did it because I was so excited with the book, not because it was just unbearable. The writing, by the way, kept getting better and better as long as I kept turning the pages away.
Slight Spoilers:
(view spoiler)
The end, on the other hand, is quite clear.

When You Play The Game of Thrones, You Win Or You Die!!!
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game Of Thrones.

Quotes Ðɑηηɑ Liked

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

08/05
30.0% 1 comment
08/05
10.0% 1 comment
08/07
30.0% 14 comments
04/05 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Veronica Morfi Well said! I picked this up after I watched the series and I'm glad I did cause the book is even better. Still I just want to finish it (I know the ending and that sucks) and start the next one.
Oh, and I don't think there is any meaning in compering this to Lord of the Rings, they're very different. Just the same genre. It's like compering all Dystopian to Hunger Games (I've seen that a lot!)

message 2: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Jacobs Critics can't be trusted-it is known, khaleesi. Wat bugs me are the sales numbers. I've been recommending the crap out of "song". Martin writes heavy and long at times, but his voice is true!

Ðɑηηɑ You can't argue over taste in books. Some people just don't like EPIC epic fantasy :) I wouldn't like it, either, if it weren't for this book.