Alisha Marie's Reviews > Sand Queen

Sand Queen by Helen Benedict

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: amazon-vine, contemporary-fiction, arc-s, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read
Read in June, 2011

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm going to say that I know absolutely nothing about the treatment of females who are in the military, so I don't know if this portrayal is accurate. In fact, I'm hoping it isn't considering how terrible the female soldiers were treated in Sand Queen. It was just so heartbreaking and pissed me off incredibly. While Sand Queen did a great job in making me feel something, I ultimately felt that the overall story was just okay.

The portrayal of the characters in Sand Queen was great. I did care for Kate and I felt genuinely sympathetic for Naema. However, I didn't feel that there was enough of a correlation between these two characters to justify the shifting narratives. In fact, I felt like the two stories the author was trying to tell were too condensed. There were two stories told and each story should have been a different book, in my opinion.

While I was reading Sand Queen, I felt like it was good enough to get three stars...until I reached the ending. It just felt too abrupt. There were all the issues that were explored in the book, but I didn't feel like there was any real resolution. I'm pretty sure that this was the author's intention, to show that the issues with those that are plagued by war are never really resolved, but it still upset me when I turned to the last page. I read it and immediately had to check the blank pages following it, willing them to have something magically written.

So, overall, I thought Sand Queen was just okay. I did love the way it was written with you knowing the ultimate outcome of the Kate character, but not knowing how exactly she got there. It's just that I was really bugged at the lack of resolution in the story. However, I was intrigued enough to check out the author's non-fiction work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sand Queen.

Tara Chevrestt As a female sheet metal mechanic who works with all men, I can say, yes, Kate's situation is very likely. I am having a hard time with Naema. She belly aches about Saddam and belly aches about America and never once stops and thinks.."But they got rid of him.." I find myself asking, "what the heck do you want? Which is the greater evil?" Lol

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was in the Army and women are treated like crap and sexual assault cases are rampant.

Yuliya If you watch the documentary "The Invisible War" you'll see just how common this abuse is, and most women react like Kate in this book by not reporting the assault.