Amanda (Pearl the Book Girl)'s Reviews > Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Oct 24, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, bir-2011, abuse, dark, banned-challenged
Read from December 14 to 15, 2011

I can't really say I liked this book, because who really does like a book about such a horrible topic? However Scott treated this subject well, and while she didn't shy away from the graphic and horrific aspects of the story, she did it in a way that doesn't exploit or glamorize the situation. It's raw, dirty, and painful.

The best part of Living Dead Girl is the writing style. I normally don't care too much about writing style, but in this case it's what makes the novel. It's almost like reading poetry and I feel like it really lends to the narrative. I can completely understand Alice and why she thinks the way she does and why she can't "just escape". The mental and physical abuse has completely drained her will to live. Alice has comes to believe that she deserves to live with her captor. I think fans of Ellen Hopkins books will really like Living Dead Girl.

Overall Living Dead Girl is a very dark story about a young girl's horrifying kidnapping that could have easily felt exploitative but was handled very well. It is a heart breaking story that will haunt you for a long time. Sidenote: I would say that this book is for mature teen and adult readers only.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead Girl.