Ben's Reviews > No Logo

No Logo by Naomi Klein

Mar 18, 08

bookshelves: current-events
Read in January, 2001

Ok ok ok, I know the hype surrounding this book. Your dreddy activist friend keeps recommending this to you. That dirty hippy that is a total vagabond is doing the same.

Well, what sold me on this book was an image taken from a busy street with all of the logo's removed using Photoshop. Striking.

And the book is long, interesting and at times redundant. Naomi Klein is hot, first of all, but mainly she's right. Advertising ruined the planet. Basically. We could argue that human desire and the weakness of popular opinion is the culprit, but advertising exploited those weaknesses, and replaced them with pollution, child labor, illegal labor and DMZ bullshit, globalization, and all of the things we were warned about happening by Orwell, PKD, Huxley, and movies like Alphaville, 1984 and Brazil.

It's not exactly like any of those things, but it could be...right? Klein is a muckraker that is very biased. But she has to be. Extreme situations call for extreme measures, and her suggestion is to not conform to consumerism. George Washington and Jesus were non-conformists, too.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Logo.

message 1: by Scotty (new) - added it

Scotty "Naomi Klein is hot, first of all"

You have just reminded me why being a man is so awesome. We're far more logical than women.