Julie's Reviews > Practice Makes Perfect

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

Jul 01, 14

bookshelves: fiction, julie-james, contemporary-romance, chicago
Read from June 19 to 30, 2014

This book is definitely not as good as the other Julie James books I've read. If you had taken her name off the cover, I wouldn't even be able to guess from the writing that it was hers. It was just very...blah. Very formulaic, with stock characters and a predictable plot. Even the dialogue and Chicago setting -- two things that really shine in her other books -- didn't shine here. Sure, the dialogue had a few moments that were great, but overall? Not what I expect from her these days.

James has improved as a writer in the years since she wrote "Practice Makes Perfect." Unlike in her other books, the story lagged, the leads didn't have a ton of chemistry, and the hero spent most of the book being a giant bag of dicks. He'd be a sympathetic character for a little bit, then he'd say something sexist or terrible and I'd think, "THIS dude is supposed to be the hero?" I liked Payton a lot more; in the typical Julie James style, the heroine is sassy, quippy, and well-dressed. Seriously, I'm not sure if her heroines ever wear jeans or flats. Or pajama pants or sweats. In my head, even when they're watching TV or sleeping, they're in skirt suits or cocktail dresses with heels. (Most of her heroines are lawyers or work in very corporate jobs, hence the dressiness, but still.)

Anyway, I think what kept me reading was seeing how she'd get the two leads, who genuinely hate each other, together by the end. I could see the end coming from a mile away, but I still wanted to see how J.D. and Payton worked things out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practice Makes Perfect.

06/19 marked as: currently-reading
06/19 page 22
7.0% "Hero sounds like a men's rights activist. I'm paraphrasing, but he's like, "It's so hard to be a white man in a law office! Women get all the good jobs! Reverse discrimination!" Am I honestly supposed to believe this douchebag is the hero of this book?"
06/19 page 23
7.0% "For what it's worth, though, J.D.'s best friend does sort of call him out on that crap."
06/30 marked as: read