ElaineY's Reviews > Deadly Nightshade

Deadly Nightshade by Victor J. Banis

Jun 25, 13

bookshelves: audiobooks-i-own, cops-sherrifs-p-i-and-firemen, mm, romantic-suspense, sequel-or-prequel-true
Read from June 02 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, JUNE 2013: 1/2 STAR:(
Terrible. Terrible. Horrible. UGH.
Worst narrator I've come across so far. I was so displeased with this item I took a refund on it, which I rarely do even if I didn't like the story. I only take a refund when the narrator did a poor job and so far, I've only refunded 2 books, this one included.

The narrator, Roy Wells, sounded like someone's grandpa with a 3-pack-a-day habit and unlikely to last to the end of the book! Several passages were omitted from his narration, lines repeated and the foreign words (IIRC, it was a French phrase) was just left out. So was the word 'transgender' almost every time. It would be there in my ebook but the narrator just skips it. Kept pulling me out of the story!

To top it all, there was that dog barking in the background somewhere in chapter 3, I think, which made me wonder if this audiobook was produced in the narrator's house (I'm not familiar with how/where these narrators record the books). At first, I thought it was coming from my apartment but it wasn't (I paused the audio to check). Then some chapters later (16, IIRC), the dog is back but fainter. Weird.

This truly is the worst audiobook production and Audible ought to redo this and pull this version from their shelves. I only lasted till two chapters before the end and couldn't stand the narrator anymore so I just reread the remainder.

The experience put me off so much I held off listening to the next book, Deadly Wrong which is narrated by a different guy, Guy Veryzer, who is halfway through the narration of the 3rd installment at this writing. I took off to listen to the award-winning, classically-trained Kaleo Griffith in Breaking Point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW OF FIRST READ, JUNE 2011: 5 STARS
Enjoyed this immensely. There weren't any parts where I had to reread to figure out what the author was trying to say, no mental double-takes, no TSTL behaviour, as tends to happen in romantic suspense. Though I did think Tom ought to have been smarter than to fall for the old trick - trusting a stranger to fetch a drink for him. Of course the expected happens!

Aside that from that, I liked the way the murderer was revealed early...and yet we still don't know his/her identity. Banis used the world of drag queens transgenders as an excellent backdrop for this murder mystery.

The relationship between the straight Tom and openly-gay Stanley develops slowly. Very slowly. Yet Stanley's feelings for Tom are unmistakeable. He's obvious enough for his friend, Chris, to warn him about doing anymore swan dives into disastrous romances. Tom, on the other hand, isn't quite there yet - admitting he has romantic feelings for Stanley. In fact, it doesn't quite enter his mind so he's constantly fantasizing about a warm pussy. Nothing quite materializes with this and after all that sexual tension, there's a scene where Tom takes Stanley to a very special place to chill. Stanley, already experiencing pangs of jealousy and suspicions about Tom's interest in a drag queen transgender, Tom tells Stanley, "Don't be."

A whole universe of possibilities in those two little words and left me as bewildered and hopeful as it did Stanley. I'm hoping, of course, that Tom won't be as cruel to Stanley as Jake was to Adrien English but I'm not holding my breath. I can see Stanley totally crushed and devastated before I get to the good part. This series had better have a solid HEA!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Nightshade.

06/20/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/21/2013 marked as: temporarily-suspended
06/24/2013 marked as: audio-now-listening
06/25/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ElaineY Finally getting down to this:)

Nikki Awesome review :)

message 3: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami You just need to get through book #3 to make up your mind. Since after that, Tom is pretty solid :)

ElaineY @Nikki: thank you:)
@Ami: I'm missing Tom in book 2 but I don't think it'll be long before he turns up at Bear Mountain. I bet he's going as stir crazy at Stanley is being apart from each other!

message 5: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL Even Tom thought he should have been smarter than to allow someone to get a drink for him. Hindsight and all that.

ElaineY I emailed Banis to ask about the audiobooks for Book 3 and the rest as well as whether there would be another installment. Here's his response:

"Elaine, thanks for buying my Deadly mystery series. Guy Veryzer, who did the excellent narration on the audio of Book #2 (Deadly Wrong) is about halfway through # 3, Deadly Dreams. I'm hoping he'll stay on board for 4 (Deadly Slumber) and 5 (Deadly Silence). Dreamspinner Press holds the audio rights for the 6th book, A Deadly Kind of Love, so I'm not sure what the plan is there.

I am mostly retired but have been tentatively working on a new Tom and Stanley, which may or may not come out this year. Age and health issues slow me down."

message 7: by DL (new) - rated it 4 stars

DL What a nice response. I hope the audio books get released.

message 8: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I am mostly retired but have been tentatively working on a new Tom and Stanley, which may or may not come out this year. Age and health issues slow me down.

It is sad when an author whose works I enjoy must slow down because of age and health issues. But at least he is working on something. I love this series so much.

ElaineY Deadly NightShade's narrator is awful. Painful to listen to. I can't finish this audiobook fast enough. Unfortunately, I won't have free days until next week:(