Cameluta's Reviews > 1632

1632 by Eric Flint

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, science-fiction, read-2011, alternate-history
Read from June 16 to 21, 2011

I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the book, but it wasn't as good as I expected. I don't know why it took me a long time (about half of the book) to get into it. The book has a story, a plot, action ... and still something was amiss. However, as I continued reading, I started to connect better with the characters and the story, and I enjoyed the end of the book.

The premise of the book is quite interesting and original. However, I found the way how the two cultures (the 21st-century-modern and the 17th-century-medieval) interacted was sometimes unrealistic. We know that prejudices run deep in medieval society, however, almost everybody from 17th century is willing to accept and embrace the modern technology, culture, religions, etc. immediately and totally. The American community tried from the beginning to impose their principles (political and religious) and didn't even think that they are a minority and they might not be accepted, and they should be those who have to lower their standards (at least partially).

The characters are poorly developed. I don't know what else I can say about this. The historical part is accurate presented, but sometimes is too much. There are pages and pages filled with locations, and military tactics of the time, and they are presented like in a history text book. If you have some knowledge about history, these pages are really boring.

1632 was entertaining enough to make me willing to read the next book in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1632.