Em's Reviews > The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

F_50x66
Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: free
Read in May, 2011

This is a short little story in which you are introduced to Finley Jayne. Finley lives in the Victorian era, but a steampunk version of it, with mechanical horses and the like. Finley is also...not quite human, although, you never do learn what Finley really is.

Finley is a very likeable young lady. She's loyal to those she cares about, and she finds it easy to care for those deserving of it. In this story she's hired to be a companion to a young woman, just after getting fired for protecting a child from a mean governess. The young woman's mother has ulterior motives in hiring Finley, and Finley soon finds herself pretending to be the young woman's country cousin, and fast becoming her friend.

The story was cute, and I did want more of it. I'm not sure if I want to read the next story in the series. I enjoyed Finley, but I just as much enjoyed her companion, and her companion's mother, and at the end of the story Finley left them, so I doubt they'll be in the next book. Ah, well.

The description of the steampunk stuff in the book was a lot of fun, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Finley Jayne.