Lisa's Reviews > The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham

F_50x66
Jun 25, 11

Read from June 02 to 30, 2011

I was a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it was because it was an audio-book, but I found myself having a difficult time trying to get through it.

The story-line was somewhat like the movie, "Wedding Crashers". But instead of weddings, Fleur goes to weddings to meet rich men. She gets them to trust her, buy her things, and most importantly, gets the men to give her a Gold Card.

Her latest project was Richard Favour, who lost his wife and is left with their 2 kids, Phillipa and Antony. Throughout the story we discover that Richard and his late wife, Emily didn't know much about each other.

For example, Phillipa's marriage to Lambert was arranged by her mother, in that by marrying Phillipa, Lambert was really marrying a millionaire. Given this knowledge, Lambert gets himself into financial troubles. Also, Anthony was born with a birthmark - which Emily was ashamed and embarrassed by. She even went so far as to asking her son to wear and eye patch.

While Fleur manages to earn Richard's trust, she also suspects Lambert's financial troubles, questions Phillip's marriage to Lambert, all the while trying to keep her daughter's father a secret and away from Zara. Antony and Zara become friends and she shares with him what her mother does.

In the end, it was Fleur's love for Zara that made her realize that there's more to life than money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gatecrasher.