Em's Reviews > In Between: A Katie Parker Production

F_50x66
Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: free
Read in April, 2011

I very much enjoyed the irreverent Katie Parker's letters to her social worker, or antics with her new foster parents as she tried to avoid things she didn't want to face.

Katie is a normal teenager, if your mother being in jail is normal, and your father not in the picture is normal. She's angry enough at her mother that she refuses to write her. Although she hasn't known her social worker long, she's attached to the social worker as the closest thing linking her to her old life, and doesn't want to give her up to be put into a foster home.

Like most teenagers, she's struggling to find her place in school, in family, and in the world, but with a new school and a new family, it's a little harder for her than it is for most. She makes some wrong choices and almost messes up a good thing.

Katie's not the only character I liked. I liked the crazy grandmother, who bikes around on a tandem bicycle. I liked the two very different friends Katie makes. There's the rebellious daughter of the PE teacher, Angel. I'd probably rebel too if my mom was around at school all the time. And there's Frances, with her perfect grades, perfect extracurriculars, and perfect life, until you scratch below the surface and see what makes her tick: fighting with Katie's foster grandmother over where to sit at church, and out of place in her own family where she has trouble identifying with the two very different cultures in her house, and so chooses to identify with neither.

For a Christian teen book, it was worth reading again, although I'm not sure that I'd buy any others in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Between.