Trunatrschild's Reviews > The Quest for Anna Klein: An Otto Penzler Book

The Quest for Anna Klein by Thomas H. Cook

Jun 09, 2011

bookshelves: amazon-vine-program, fiction, mystery, spy-novel
I own a copy

I really liked this book. It had it's slow moments and ones where the author shouldn't have used his conversation change technique, but it left me changed and I admire books that do that. This book is more than a spy novel, it's a novel about love and the decisions one makes and the consequences and life path changes that one has to live with. There was one (to me) glaring mistake, but I guess it could be understood... on the very first page, the narrator stated that he was a part of a Soviet Think Tank that never knew that Soviet Russia was going to fall. Now I was in Europe in the early 80's and listened to Radio Free Europe a lot, which was run by the CIA and they made it clear that they knew that the Soviet economy was kept afloat by their 'acquiring' other countries, hence their need to absorb Afghanistan, and that if that was prevented, the Soviets would collapse in 10 years, which is what happened, but most Americans were ignorant of this so the author not knowing would be understandable and I don't know if knowing it would have changed the story in any way.
This was the first Thomas Cook novel I've read and I hope it won't be the last because I understand it isn't considered his best, and if there are better, then I definitely want to read more. I highly recommend this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quest for Anna Klein.