Hollowspine's Reviews > Bop!: More Box Office Poison

2069761
Jul 28, 14

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read on June 02, 2011

Perhaps since this is the only Box Office Poison that I've read I may not be the best judge of it...but overall I felt this collection of short comics was somewhat bland. Not very funny, or insightful. Which is somewhat strange to me since I absolutely loved his book Too Cool to be Forgotten. Although this book has some similar themes, it's just no comparison to Too Cool which I really enjoyed reading.

I wasn't too impressed by the overall lack of original situations and the stereotyped characters. I was especially annoyed by the constant insecurity of the women, who are obviously dating far below them and the equally constant yet failed philandering of the men.

If one were to go by the people represented here all men think that they can have any woman and constantly fantasize about getting with different women, even if they are satisfied with their current partner. And all women think (and it seems rightly so) that they are not satisfactory to their man and he will cheat on and abandon them because of their huge glasses, sagging breasts or fat thighs.

However I did enjoy the short on Caprice Flat Earth. That did show a somewhat overdone Middle/High school type story, but with truth that made it work for me.

Also, I couldn't even agree with the disgruntled employee sections, because I would never condone being rude to a person who merely wants one to perform one's job. I guess that my sense of customer service is the reason I went into libraries rather than commercial book stores.

Overall, not very many funny moments, some disjointed sections that didn't seem to fit with the others and somewhat sexist. I guess I should go back to the beginning and read the longer work which is excerpted here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bop!.