♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > The Iron Daughter

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

2641924
Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: characters-fae, genre-fantasy, genre-young-adult, cover-is-awesome, genre-paranormal
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2011

Unfortunately I was one of the few people who did not absolutely adore The Iron King. While I didn't hate it by any means, I found it hard, as I do with most fae books, to connect with the fae world in general. It's sometimes tough to break through the cold exterior that most of them, as a species, seem to have -- even the good guys. So I wasn't actually sure if I would continue the series, despite all the raving reviews. However, I decided I would keep going and see where it went. Boy am I happy I did!

I enjoyed reading The Iron Daughter very much. A lot of the things I didn't like about the last book (primarily the coldness of the fae and the boringness of Meghan), were remedied in this book. I found myself connecting much more to Meghan and the other main characters, which I'm so glad about. Perhaps it was the mood I was in when I read the first book that left me feeling dissatisfied? I'm not sure.

But in this book the thing I loved the most was -- well there's two things I suppose. But the first is the adventure and action! This book is very fast-paced and on the move. It was exciting to see what sort of predicament the gang would find themselves in next. So this has a lot of fun stuff going on in that aspect. Dragons, deadly labyrinths, in-between worlds, and even in-between office building floors (cue Being John Malkovich). But, I won't give too much away because the majority of the fun is getting there! Let me just say that the adventure was top-notch and I was truly impressed. My second favorite thing was Ash, but I won't get into him too much either. ;)

Another thing that really impresses me about Julie Kagawa's writing is her visuals. I would absolutely adore seeing this series as movies because there are so many fun things that she brings to vivid life. It's so very easy to picture everything that's going on, even the things that are hardly imaginable!

Overall, I'm very happy I decided to push on and continue with the series. This book did not disappoint and I'm SO excited to read the next one as soon as possible!

More of my reviews at I'm Loving ♥ Books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Daughter.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't you love it so far!!

♥ Sarah ♥ @Trish - Yay! We're doing a buddy read and didn't even known it. lol

@Sunny - I'm liking it so far. I like that it's fast-paced and lots of action going on. I didn't love The Iron King AS MUCH as everyone else. I didn't hate it, but I didn't adore it. But, I'm liking this one a lot more. I think I just need to warm up to the fae. I'm not a big fae fan in general so I think that's why I wasn't loving the first one as much.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah - I have to admit I am not big on fey but to me this is the best fey series or atleast better than "Wicked Lovely".

♥ Sarah ♥ I've only read the first Wicked Lovely. Same problem with that one. Sometimes I just can't get past the "coldness" of the fae. They're sometimes just too uncaring. But, I am really liking The Iron Daughter so far. It seems more adventurous and the characters seem to be more apart of a team than secretly against each other (at least so far).

♥ Sarah ♥ lol No not like Twilight. That was probably some person who thinks all paranormal books are the same. All paranormal books are not created equally! lol

I didn't really hate Wicked Lovely or anything, it was just very different and weird to me. I might try the series out again after I finish Iron Fey. I'm also reading the Fever series right now so I guess I'm in a fae mood! lol Well, when I started the Fever series I didn't really realize it was fae, plus it's not really the same since the fae are just bad and they're not main characters (at least not yet).

♥ Sarah ♥ lol Yeah maybe, I did read it awhile ago. From what I remember it was mainly that I kind of wanted to run away from the world instead of dive into the book. lol

♥ Sarah ♥ Yeah I'll probably hold off. One day when I'm out of fae/fey books to read and I'm in a fae/fey mood. It'll probably be awhile. lol

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (A Book and a Latte) You're not alone! I have a review in draft that is very similar to this! Mainly that I did not adore the Iron King, but liked the Iron Daughter much better... for me the characters are what kept me going in the series and I'm so glad. I love Ash and can't wait to read The Iron Knight!

♥ Sarah ♥ @Jen - Oh I love Ash too! Not so much in The Iron King. But this one I loved him in. Glad to hear I'm not alone with The Iron King thing. The Iron Queen just came in so I've got to read that one here soon, can't wait to see what happens. THEN I already have The Iron Knight from Netgalley. I cheated and requested it before I finished the others. lol But, now I won't have to wait so long! :-D

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (A Book and a Latte) Me too! I have The Iron Knight already and need to read The Iron Queen. I plan to read it next week :).

♥ Sarah ♥ lol Good! I'm not the only one. hehe

♥ Sarah ♥ Trish wrote: "I need Iron Queen NOW! I'm going to read it asap!"

This one was really good huh? Ash. *sigh* :]

♥ Sarah ♥ I didn't like Ash in The Iron King, but I didn't like him in this one.

and the ending, I know! That's what makes me excited to read the next one though. Sometimes cliff hangers are a good thing, although they can make me mad if the next book isn't out yet! lol