Sharon's Reviews > Matterhorn

1120957
Mar 27, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, war-military
Read from October 16 to November 17, 2011

Wow, wow, wow. I want to say a special, heartfelt thanks to every Vietnam veteran. This is a book I'll never forget. As many who served in this jungle have said better than I can, this is a powerful story of so many aspects of war, particularly this war. Everything was so nebulous, I don't see how anyone either managed to fight or came out alive. This is a story of the people of that war up and down the ranks. If you never fought in such a war (I didn't) and want to know what war is like, read this book.

If you don't understand why people protest war, read this book. If you didn't understand why Vietnam vets threw away their medals (800 of them reportedly), or why warriors come home with post traumatic stress disorder, read this book. If you don't care about any of this, read this book because it's an important part of American history and should remind us never to repeat this war and what happened within it and around it.

For the squeamish, the book isn't unduly gruesome. It is, though, enraging and incredibly sad and enlightening. It is about a brotherhood that can't be truly understood unless you lived it. It is about how it really was, not how the news portrayed it. It's the story of a few good men -- and a few others.

I listened to this book on audio, although I own the book. Bronson Pinchot is the reader and he's beyond excellent. Because you shouldn't miss Pinchot reading this book -- you'll get so much more out of it with his perceptive voice inflections and emotions -- and because if you listen while driving you'll miss details here and there -- I suggest reading both the hard copy and listening to the audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matterhorn.

06/16 marked as: read