Chrissy's Reviews > Thr3e

Thr3e by Ted Dekker

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011

I think this is one of the harder books I've had to review, not because it was poorly written or uninteresting or bad, but because it just wasn't for me. I can fully recognize the merits of the work, I think, but in the end I just didn't enjoy it as fully as I had wished.

I suppose I just have something against thrillers, somehow. They're just never quite fulfilling to me, even when they take on a spiritual nature like THREE by Ted Dekker. But, to lay out my biases, I also have some unjustified beef against cartoons. I don't get it, but I can't deal with any kind of animation.

Or thrillers.

But, going back to the novel, let's start with the plot. THREE revolves around an insightful seminary student named Kevin who receives a startling phone call that demands that he confesses his sins or face serious consequences. Minutes later, his car explodes, only seconds after he escapes, and thus begins a series of riddles that Kevin must solve in order to save the lives of himself and those around him.

Everything revolves somehow around an unspoken sin that Kevin cannot seem to recall, but he believes it relates back to "the boy" -- a bully from his childhood who terrorized him and his best friend Samantha, the epitome of childhood innocence. While Kevin believes that his ultimate sin relates back to an encounter with the bully, he comes to suspect that this challenge goes far deeper -- and speaks more about the ultimate nature of good and evil than about any single incident in his life.

While I do admit that THREE had its share of plot twists and turns, I did find myself a bit ... disinterested ... after a while. Given the overuse of certain literary devices (trying not to give any spoilers here) I figured out the twist pretty early, and I was disappointed somehow at the end to see that I was correct. While I can agree that the outcome ultimately did make a statement about human nature, at the same time it felt a bit cheap, almost, like an easy out to a mystery that perhaps wasn't quite thought through with the precision it deserved.

So, while I would ultimately recommend THREE to any fan of a good thriller, especially one with a spiritual basis, I can't really see myself rereading this one in future. I'm not disappointed that I read it, but I still felt let down enough that I won't be adding it to my shelf of favorites anytime soon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thr3e.

06/05/2011 page 76