Wrenaria's Reviews > Evelina

Evelina by Fanny Burney

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: british, classics
Read from June 02 to 05, 2011

If you enjoy Jane Austen, do give this book a go. I found to be quite delightful and has a similar feel to an Austen work, though written in an epistolary form. I did find some of the middle parts were a little tedious to me, mainly because some of the characters involved were less interesting to me than others, but mostly I really enjoyed the story and variety of characters. I did think Evelina could come off as a little vain at times in her narrative, as many of the anecdotes related to her beauty, but I think that is more a fault of the 1st person epistolary form than of the character herself. I appreciated that she is naive, but usually painfully aware of her mistakes in hindsight and does her best to learn from them with what little life experience she has. The variety of her suitors is also amusing (Sir Clement and Orville were easily the most interesting to me). Evelina certainly gets to experience quite a few adventures in her time away from home. I had a hard time putting down the book once I started to get to know the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evelina.