Chadwick's Reviews > Blue Mars

Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: best-books-ever-man, utopian-anarchist, sf, world-building-sf
Read in March, 2008

** spoiler alert ** So, I've mentioned already how much I've enjoyed this series in my reviews of the first two books, and now I've finished. The last volume is the slowest of the three, concerned mostly with tying up loose ends and bringing the threads of the story to completion. I think my favorite part of this book is Robinson's use of science fictional technology as literary device. Towards the end of the novel the remaining members of the First Hundred settlers undergo an experimental gene therapy to repair their memories (they're clocking in at about 220 years old, and things are getting fuzzy for them). We're given Sax Russel's POV during this scene, and as his memories come flooding back, we are treated to a dizzying recap of the whole series. It's a perfect finale to a gorgeous chunk of prose.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Mars.

Quotes Chadwick Liked

Kim Stanley Robinson
“Economics was like psychology, a pseudoscience trying to hide that fact with intense theoretical hyperelaboration. And gross domestic product was one of those unfortunate measurement concepts, like inches or the British thermal unit, that ought to have been retired long before.”
Kim Stanley Robinson, Blue Mars