Juliana Philippa's Reviews > At Grave's End

At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost

Jun 02, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, pnr-vampires, 2011-jul-reads, 2011-reads, library-book, 0-reviewed, 3-half-stars
Recommended for: People reading the Night Huntress series - don't read out of order
Read from July 14 to 24, 2011 , read count: 1

Was a good book and I continue to enjoy Bones and the secondary characters - Vlad/Dracula especially, and I'm now more intrigued than ever to read Mencheres' story ( Eternal Kiss of Darkness ). Cat, however, is still annoying to me; ever since the first book she's gotten on my nerves. Am also sick of Tate, as I know most readers were by the last book.

Cat continues to be unlikable to me, and I think it's a combination of several things. One of them is that I find her very hard to relate to. While in her relationship with Bones she shows her vulnerability - especially in this book in the second half - other than that I find her to be always too self-confident, too sure of herself, and too much of a know-it-all. I love kick-a** heroines, don't get me wrong, but especially since the story is told from her first person POV, we should be shown the doubt and vulnerability than any normal person feels ... and we're not.

Another thing that I've come to realize bugs me about her is that I really don't see why Bones is so unbelievably in love with and committed to her. He is so devoted to her and has been since Book 1, and frankly I don't think we're given enough substance as to why that is. I've been reading Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series along with this one, and while Merit has annoyed me throughout the series - and much for the same reasons - one thing I can say is that I have always understood what it is that draws Ethan to her (one of the big ones being that she treats him differently than everyone else does - not as a Master or a vampire, but as a man). Here, I don't get why Bones is so drawn to Cat and what the basis is for that deep bond between them.

It was a good read though and the subplot was entertaining and well done. Much less chemistry shown between Bones and Cat though, which was most certainly a drawback.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Grave's End.

07/14/2011 page 27
8.0% ""'Leave Chucky alone!' I heard a child wail. Several more screamed. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, talk about emotionally scarring these kids, watching what must appear to be a crazy woman trying to stab their beloved icon to death. They'd have nightmares for years unless Bones wiped their memories."" 2 comments
12/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I agree, Juliana. Cat has always annoyed me, definitely NOT one of my favorite heroines. I have never really liked the Cat+Bones couple as much as the fans of the series. I honestly think this series is way too overrated.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana AGREED. I don't believe that Cat deserves Bones. I find her cockiness and lack of vulnerability juvenile. Its like she won't grow up. It seems as if the couple is unequally yoked. Not to mention the whole Tate aspect is beyond ridiculous. He is supposed to be at the top of his game given what he does for a living. I'm assuming only the best and brightest can be selected for this government program. Yet, he can't even figure out when there is no chance in hell that he is getting picked over Bones. He is outmatched in every category. Its like he is stuck on stupid. I find myself more interested in the Night Huntress World Books than the NH series. I cant wait for Dracula's book

Juliana Philippa @Amy: I'm becoming increasingly convinced of the same thing. I love Bones and the secondary characters, but Cat really annoys me and liking the heroine ... yeah, kind of a must in a romance!

@ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷTai•ye•shaƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: Yes, she's so immature and juvenile! Drives me nuts. I have heard some great things about the spin-off books and now that I've been introduced to Vlad/Dracula, I completely agree!!! I loved him so much in this book, but didn't even think of that - do you know for certain that JF is writing a book for him? I hope so!

@Nymphetamosa wrote: Agree on the prejudiced charge. I think she's gotten much better though - in the first books (especially #1) it was really blatant. And I love Bones too, which is why it makes it all the more annoying that Cat drives me crazy.

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana I am fairly certain that Vlad's book will be out around summer of '12. Its being said in all the urban fantasy and Paranormal Romance forums. His character is liked more than cat so I don't think she could in good conscious not give Vlad a book :) yay! I do think it might be time for another PR series from Frost. NH might have run its course for me, Idk yet though.

message 5: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Jul 26, 2011 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juliana Philippa Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷTai•ye•shaƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: "I do think it might be time for another PR series from Frost. NH might have run its course for me, Idk yet though."

I so wish the heroine was better, because I could honestly read about Bones forever!

Lisa Kay Yeah, this one isn't doing it for me. Maybe I'm just moody.

message 7: by Jewel Joy (new)

Jewel Joy Redfern Wow. I can't believe that got me thinking. Why the heck is Bones in love with Cat, although I don't hate Cat. LOL. If there's one vampire character I hate. It'll be Rose Hathaway from VA. She really got on my nerve like how Cat got on your nerves. :)

Alexandra Hmmm. I think Bones may be drawn to the very thing that makes us annoyed with her character. Her stubbornness, her lack of fear, the emotional baggage she comes with, and many other things that make up her character. Bones has an opposite personality (save for being completely ruthless, cause we know he can be that way), so perhaps it's the "opposites-attract" thing that draws him to her. Although, I do completely agree that it's not understandable because Frost didn't quite show it. In fact, in my own opinion, I had a hard time accepting them as a couple because I felt it seemed a bit...rushed, his declaration of love her seemed...sudden?, but maybe that's because we aren't seeing his point of view. There didn't seem to be any huge development in that area to lead to them being in love. I could get why Cat is in love though. But yeah.