Trin's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Dec 17, 08

bookshelves: fiction, japanese-lit
Read in November, 2008

My brother’s favorite Murakami book, and I can see why: every sentence feels perfect, building to each perfectly distilled image, creating an overall sense of atmosphere and emotion that’s just overwhelmingly beautiful and sad. Already I can see that I will not be able to do this book justice, turning at once to overwrought, cymbals-clashing praise, which is the exact opposite of what Murakami achieves in this book. He is always understated, never melodramatic, and he peppers this story of loss with enough humor to keep it warm and real. Okay, let’s just say this: he writes about doing laundry in a way that makes me want to do laundry. Laundry. I rest my case.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.

11/11/2008 page 26
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Mauri (new)

Mauri Ohhhh, I had a moment like this at Christmas.

Little Brother: Here, Kafka. I really enjoy him.
Me: Oh, yeah.
Me: Who?

Writerlibrarian Is Murakami more intellectual than Coupland? I wonder. Murakami is less mainstream but he's pretty much inspired by culture, music, the civilization around him I agree that Coupland is less difficult to approach but I think it's more because he's North American, we can connect with his references than Murakami's.

My 2 canadian cents, YMMV

Trin I don't know. I wrote that comment more than a year ago, before I had actually read any Murakami. (I just finished After Dark a few days ago and loved it.) I actually think that my feelings at the time were more motivated by my brother than anything else: he was (and is) going through a rather pretentious film school phase, and I think that influenced my thinking—probably unfairly in this case.

Writerlibrarian See I didn't notice the date of the comment. Blushing now. And yes isn't it strange how we are influenced or our impression are colored by the people who recommend the books to us?

I think Murakami is not everyone's cup of tea but I think it has a certain appeal that might attract literary types as well as trendy types.

message 5: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami oh, you read murakami! he is definitely one of my most favorite authors. his novels are surreal and wonderful. i finished after dark last month and it was really good

Trin Yes, I'm having the great experience of discovering that everyone who told me how great he is was absolutely right! I just read After Dark too and now I'm reading The Elephant Vanishes. I'm so glad he's written lots of books so I have plenty to get through! Do you have a particular favorite?

message 7: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami i love his recent stories better than his previous ones because they are surreal and deep and thoughtful. if i have to make a particular favorite, that would be south of the border, west of the sun for his earlier work -- because what he writes there struck a chord within me, the male character seems to mirror my thoughts in more that one time

but all time favorite, is hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the end of the world. a very mouthful title, yes? but i love it so very much. because i think it's well written and unique and enganging.