Vicky's Reviews > Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects

Thrall by Christie Golden

2044729
Jun 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: warcraft, fantasy, own-book, setting-fantasy, series-in-progress, author-american, color-brown, char-magic-user
Recommended for: WarCraft Lore-Nerds
Read from July 16 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I've been playing World of Warcraft since shortly after launch and am most definitely a "lore-nerd." It is an vast world with great characters and epic happenings. I read this book because I wanted to read more about the continuing story of Cataclysm that isn't being portrayed in game, however...

Just as I was unimpressed by the writing in The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, I continue to find Golden's writing juvenile and, in many places, just plain bad. I fail to understand why so many fans prefer her WarCraft novels over Knaak, and it pains me to know that authors are becoming "New York Times Bestsellers" on the skirt tails of media tie-ins. The characters seemed to lack the depth I know they have, and I felt as though Thrall's dialogue was out of character many times.

I also think that Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects fit awkwardly into the timing already in place within the game. We know it must happen before Patch 4.2 because of the appearance of (view spoiler) at Nordrassil with Alexstrasza, Ysera and (view spoiler). But it seems as though some events have happened in both the novel and the patch 4.2 content, more thoughts between the spoiler tags.

(view spoiler)

I'm sure Blizzard has some reason why it all works out the way it does in the timeline, but it just didn't seem to add up as well as The Shattering did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thrall.

07/17/2011 page 55
18.0% "Awful pacing, awful writing, awful character voices. If it wasn't part of Warcraft lore, I wouldn't be reading it."
07/18/2011 page 221
72.0% "Still bad. *Sigh*"

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike It all makes sense, as it does take place before 4.2 and is also based on events in the game think of it as an alternate time line.

Scott Callaway I agree with Mike. I played through that quest line as well and had similar thoughts, but I believe that the game writers may have added that quest to sort of give insight to players who don't read the novels about Thrall's coming to terms with himself and his love for Aggra. Although, I can't say I like how it contradicts the events from the novel.