Sayjil's Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, exceptional-plot, cherished
Read in March, 2011

When I first read this book I was like...

I remember when I first read this book, it was the night before I wrote my Life Science exam last year. After waiting for the shipment of the book (I ordered it online) and then ignoring it for a whole week it finally caught up with me. Of course it was like freaking Pandora's box near me. I told myself I’d just read a few chapters and leave it, so much for that happening; I remember I couldn’t put the freaking book down. Now after re-reading this book I still couldn’t put it down.

Chloe Saunders attends an art school where she sees a burnt curator that harasses her but the problem is no one else can see him. So she is sent Lyle House, a group home for people in need of ‘professional help’. Here she meets Elizabeth Delaney, Rachelle, Victoria Enright and Derek and Simon Souza. The place is like boot camp, only for supposedly crazy people because they diagnosed her as schizophrenic. The problem is everyone seems a normal except Elizabeth has a supposed poltergeist , Tori is a bit of a bitch, Rachelle likes fire and Derek has an abnormal about of strength as for Simon, he’s not part of the crazy group. The arrogant, rude, brooding Derek suspects that the Chloe actually sees ghosts. Soon enough Chloe finds out she’s a necromancer. Simon and Derek are also supernaturals who have been on the run for more than decade with their dad. Now Derek wants to break Simon and Chloe out so they can look for Simon’s dad. Time starts ticking when they try to find out why they really are there.

Ahhhhhh! The book was awesome. I usually avoid the books that have heroines that are younger than me (they somehow annoy me). This book however, was spectacular; although I couldn’t relate to the heroin which I might add is nothing compared the strong heroines I usually favour. I figure I’m more of a female Derek. I loved every character here but I loved Chloe the most. Her ingenuity was practically perfection. The action scenes or ghost scenes were quite enjoyable. Hats off to Armstrong, the book was ingenious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

Quotes Sayjil Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“He pivoted, gaze following me as I crossed to the shower and turned on the cold water, so it would drown out our conversation without steaming up the room.
Great," he muttered."Now they're going to think we're showering together. Maybe we can just tell them we were washing off the crawl space dirt and trying to conserve water.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning

Kelley Armstrong
“Oh, for God's sake. Save your piss. Don't save your piss. It's all the same to me.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning