Andrew's Reviews > The 120 Days of Sodom

The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade

Jun 02, 11

Recommended to Andrew by: A dear friend
Read from August 20, 1994 to June 20, 1995, read count: 2

This is definitely a book about depravity. It is also definitely literature and a historical document. This is a book that illustrates an extreme, but nevertheless realistic view that arises in a world not governed by law and where power is arrived at by birth or nepotism. In an age that is increasingly fascinated by aristocracy with the marriages in the English and Danish Royal families, for example, and the rise and potential return of the Romanov family in the name of nationalism, books like the 100 days of Sodom are salient warnings of just how people are seen by those with an idea that they are born to rule rather than leadership by merit, but this book is not alone. Read anything about or set during one of the battles of the Somme, or anything related to slavery, or Dickens or anything that does not politely deal with England during the Industrial Revolution for the same relegation of people to resources. 100 days of Sodom was a warning for the holocaust in the potential in human psychology in the treatment of those considered lesser beings. I am tempted to find what the Nazis did worse than what is described in Sodom, but then there is no scale and in fact the Marquis de Sade would have made a good Nazi in Auschwitz. I might not care for any of those characters but I am still interested in knowing about them if only so I can recognise the inevitable return of people like them. I just hope the higher probability that the return of aristocratic power represents does not continue in its current candy covered progress. One of the best things about the First World War was the removal of the most authoritarian European and near Eastern Aristocracies and their superstitious underlings. This is how I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 120 Days of Sodom.