Rain Misoa's Reviews > Demon Diary, Vol. 02

Demon Diary, Vol. 02 by Kara

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: manga
Recommended to Rain by: Ad on Barnes & Noble
Recommended for: EVERYONE! Comic and shounen-ai lovers!
Read from June 01 to 02, 2011, read count: 6

This book was amazing! I am so hooked to this series! I know this is my sixth time reading it but I remember when I first started collecting it back in 2003 that I was super excited to read through the entire series! The author may have been changed from the one who wrote the first volume but it still manages to continue where the first one left off. It was funny, entertaining, and very informative. I do so love this manga. It has everything I've ever loved a manga having!

As I said earlier, Lee Yun Hee isn't the original author. However, she did a wonderful job in picking up the story where it left off and expanding on it. The humor is much the same as are the characters so you don't really notice the difference in author change. She even went as far as to show more background information on Eclipse and Raenef which you didn't get in the first volume. You see how they met and how Raenef came about to being a demon lord. Just seeing their history was a joy! She even introduced more characters and, let me tell you, it is so worth seeing them come to life! They are so hilarious and loving but more on that later. Kara still has it down! Her art style is so beautiful! I can stay staring at her background images for a very long time. And her characters? They are one of the most gorgeous people to ever set themselves on the scene of manga. I want to marry Eclipse, that's how hot he is! (And because he reminds me of someone I care deeply for but... we won't get into that...)

Characters! I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THE SMEXY AWESOME PEOPLE!!! Raenef is just too adorable for words! In this volume you see him slowly grow from being a clutz... to wanting to become a much better demon lord to not disappoint Eclipse anymore. Though he doesn't really improve much, the sentiment of him wanting to take his role seriously is there and you just hope he is able to learn new abilities. You hope he is able to please Eclipse, who, has changed as well. He is much more animated and open with his feelings for Raenef. Once Raenef runs away (not spoiler, says it on the back), he goes crazy with looking for him. He even says something that proves he cares about the young demon lord. They are both teaching each other how to become better people. Rae is learning how to be more responsible and Eclipse is learning how to be more caring. It's really a beautiful relationship they have.

Three new characters are introduced in this volume! Well, two. We met Erutis in volume one but we didn't get to see much of her. In fact, in this one, we don't get to see much. However, it is more than the first. She's funny, a smart-ass, a bit of a chicken shit (but is's more on the side of, "Ack! Don't kill me! I give you cookies" than actually being a coward. It's hilarious!), and just all-around fun! I love her dialogue with Eclipse the most because he intimidates her and she tries to act all cool when she just fails. Chris, a Rased cleric heir, is probably more foolish than Raenef, in a good way! He's stupid but thinks he's a genius, conceited, lively, and always gets his ass handed to him by his master. Now, I love his master. He's always beating down Chris and telling him to use his brain and calling him stupid... yeah, I love him. All of the characters in this manga! They are just so entertaining!

Really! I HIGHLY recommend you pick up this series. It's so much fun just to read through it. However, it's not just fun and games! There are serious things to the plot as well. Most of it being revealed later on but it is so interesting that you must must MUST keep reading until the very end. Right now it's all fun and games and a history lesson and even THAT makes the manga worth reading. If you like magic, comedy, with a tiny bit of romance (seriously, you have to squint in order to see it) then read this! It's one of the best series out there!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Diary, Vol. 02.

06/01/2011 page 1
1.0% "Whoo! Second volume here I come! Here's where it starts to get more in depth AND you meet more characters! Super excited to be continuing! ^_^"
06/01/2011 page 7
4.0% "Well, as you can see, they got another author to continue with the Demon Diary series. Whilst I think Lee Chi Hyong did a fabulous job with picking up the story and the way it ends in the final volume, I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if the original author continued the story. *Shrugs* Who knows? *Mutters* Maybe I would have gotten more yaoi... *Smirks*"
06/01/2011 page 20
10.0% "XDDDD It's hilarious how often Raenef get's Eclipse upset. And it's even funnier how Eclipse refers to Erutis as an "it" or a "thing." *Giggles* He's so adorable~ <3"
06/01/2011 page 25
13.0% "Oh... I forgot about that part... Eclipse is so brutal... kinda wish the author showed the bloody mess. XD Poor Rae fainted because of it. X333333333"
06/01/2011 page 29
15.0% "I shall forever mourn Mr. Tomato for you, Rae. *Pats him on the back* Do not fear... Eclipse isn't THAT cruel... right? O_o (Yeah... I'm going to be updating this like crazy, too. I apologize in advance.)"
06/01/2011 page 50
26.0% "Good response, Erutis! Whenever you see a grumpy demon threatening to kill you, just change what you said and agree with him. *Nods* Poor Eclipse is worried~ Don't worry! He's off in the East wanting to eat more tomatoes!!! (Cloudy would definitely gag if he saw someone eat tomatoes like that! X3)"
06/01/2011 page 70
36.0% "Ah, Chris. Hajimemashite! Dozo yoroshiku! I cannot wait to see all your craziness thrown at everyone! X3 I love this fool! Now, he's going to have one hell of a time with Rae. And Eclipse being mistaken for a pedobear~ XDDD That was funny as hell! <3333 I love how he's over-protective of Rae~ Such a sweetie! <3"
06/01/2011 page 102
53.0% "Chris... you are far from being a genius... let alone a SUPERGENIUS! Just give it up... you are cute though... I'll give you that much. X3 By the way... I love your treacher. He makes me giggle. A LOT! XD"
06/01/2011 page 110
57.0% "HERE HE COMES TO SAVE THE DAY!!! AND HE LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!! XDDDDDD"
06/01/2011 page 117
61.0% "Dude! I forgot how badass Eclipse looked in the past! So hot! And Chris' master knew him... hmm... makes me wonder... *Smirks*"
06/01/2011 page 126
66.0% "And that's what you get for being... stupid. KICK HIS ASS, TEACH!!!"
06/01/2011 page 133
69.0% "Love. That's what that is! Don't you dare tell me it isn't! And I think the master is taken with Eclipse~ I bet if he was a few years younger~~~~~ *Snickers*"
06/01/2011 page 142
74.0% "Okay! Quite a few things to note: First, the master celebrating the fact Chris is gone and no longer his problem. Second, Eclipse calling Rae cute and wanting to welcome him home properly. Third, Eclipse calling Chris a monkey and Erutis a raccoon! And lastly, Erutis feeling left out in the Corner of Woe! XD These last few pages have been smex worthy! X3"
06/02/2011 page 152
79.0% "Ah~ The seer. She is pretty epic as in she does something no one else had the balls to do. But that comes later~"
06/02/2011 page 158
82.0% "And this is when your fates were intertwined! Yeah, we are now in the flashback (well, we've been here for a few pages now) of when Eclipse and Raenef met! I love seeing the history of these two! They are just amazing and I cannot wait to see more of the same! ^_^"
06/02/2011 page 167
87.0% "...it's just so pretty, Eclipse! I would yank your hair, too, if I could! *Flails* Oh and... YOU LOOK SO SEXY IN THEM REGULAR CLOTHES!"
06/02/2011 page 192
100.0% "I want to meet someone three times in one day. That'll be pretty cool. Eclipse's reaction to realizing who Raenef is was hilarious. Oh, that wrist grabbing this was just HOT! AH! This was such a good volume! You got to see more of the characters and get to know them whilst diving into the history of Raenef and Eclipse as to how Rae came about to being a demon lord! I loved it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Against GR Censorship] *Applauds* Another raving review and some very entertaining commentary, not merely because I recognize the side-notes you put in there that only people who know you well can recognize. *Smiles* This -is- the volume where things start to get more lively, and I'm glad to see it was just as wonderful for you as the last many times you read it. <3 I read it through once for certain, though I think I may have read it a second time at some point, but it's been so many years that I've forgotten the details though I remember the main storyline. Must say though, definitely loved the characters much more than the storyline. X3 They aaaabbbbsoluuuuutely made it worth the reading. :3 <3

Glad to see you agree! XD

Rain Misoa What can I say? I live for putting in random notes in my reviews to leave people guessing~ X3 Besides, this manga is my baby. I've had it FOR YEARS now! I cannot get enough of it! So... if I rant and rave and go apeshit crazy over it then... you really can't blame me. X3 But yes, I do find the storyline to be interesting but the characters are what makes this manga to be a wonderful read! These characters are just awesome!!! I must finish reading some more tonight! X3

message 3: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Against GR Censorship] *Laughs* You'll finish it alright! And man, I miss the simple chaos of these characters. It's been so long! X3 I would love to read it again myself someday. :3 Maybe -that's- what I can read while at your house if I feel up to it! XD I'll clear you out of manga! <3

Rain Misoa Yeah... you'll do that... and I'll read all those lovely books you're bringing over! All 165 of them! X3

message 5: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Against GR Censorship] And then we'll trade! XD You gimme what you don't want! <3

Rain Misoa ...I need to go through my library... I'm sure there are a couple of things that I would love to be rid of! XD

message 7: by N.T. Embe (new)

N.T. Embe [Against GR Censorship] *Cough* And your parents. >_> ...XDDD <3