Anita's Reviews > How to Talk to a Widower

How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: fiction, swap-out
Read in June, 2011

I devoured this book, the second I've read by Tropper. What could have a cheesy or sappy story of a recent widower grappling with his grief is instead an affecting yet lighthearted snapshot of life after death. I love the various characters and colorful relationships within Doug's family, from the mourning stepson, to the father recovering from a stroke, to the domineering twin sister. It is this group that makes reading about a man with nothing going for him (no career, dead wife, drowning in self-pity and alcohol) so enjoyable.
Every page in this book is well-written. The chapters that consist entirely of email exchanges and the chapter chronicling Doug's first blind date are really funny. And, as might be expected, there are a few times when you might not be able help tearing up over Doug's grief.
Given that this is the second book by this author that I'm rating as a "recommend", I think it's time I find out what else he has written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Talk to a Widower.