Marvin Reininger's Reviews > On the Road

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Jun 02, 11

Whether people like the book or not, there are a lot of opinions on it which means it IS a meaningful additive to the meaningfulness of the Beats and who they have influenced ever since their coming of age.

This book reeks of freedom even if the way Sal and Dean go about achieving this is thought to be mischievous.

I also think Jack Kerouac's writing style, besides being spontaneous prose, reads with a angelic flow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Road.

Quotes Marvin Liked

Jack Kerouac
“Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk — real straight talk about souls, for life is holy and every moment is precious.”
tags: sex

Jack Kerouac
“The best teacher is experience and not through someone's distorted point of view”

Jack Kerouac
“I realized these were all the snapshots which our children would look at someday with wonder, thinking their parents had lived smooth, well-ordered lives and got up in the morning to walk proudly on the sidewalks of life, never dreaming the raggedy madness and riot of our actual lives, our actual night, the hell of it, the senseless emptiness.”