Oriana's Reviews > Games of Command

Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair

Jun 25, 08

bookshelves: keepers, english, sci-fi, romance, 2008
Read in March, 2008

It’s so hard to write a review about a book we really loved and I’ve been struggling for days to write only a few lines.

After reading The Accidental Goddess and Gabriel’s Ghost, Linnea Sinclair quickly went to my auto-buy list. When I finally got my hands in Games of Command, I knew this was going to be an adventurous journey!

"The universe isn’t what it used to be. With the new Alliance between the Triad and the United Coalition, Captain Tasha “Sass” Sebastian finds herself serving under her former nemesis, biocybe Admiral Branden Kel-Paten–and doing her best to hide a deadly past. But when an injured mercenary winds up in their ship’s sick bay–and in the hands of her best friend, Dr. Eden Fynn–Sass’s efforts may be wasted.

Wanted rebel Jace Serafino has information that could expose all of Sass’s secrets, tear the fragile Alliance apart–and end Sass’s career if Kel-Paten discovers them. But the biocybe has something to hide as well, something once thought impossible for his kind to possess: feelings . . . for Sass. Soon it’s clear that their prisoner could bring down everything they once believed was worth dying for–and everything they now have to live for."

When Tasha “Sass” Sebastian is transferred to the Vaxxar, Admiral Kel-Paten’s ship, she cannot really understand what she is doing there and when Jace Serafino, an old acquaintance from her past life, shows up she fears her secret might be discovered.
Tasha is a self-assured, courageous and intelligent heroine who knows what she wants and has a great sense of humor. She’s definitely someone I would like to have as a friend.

Half-man, half-machine, Branden Kel-Paten is not supposed to feel any emotions and despite knowing how dangerous it is, he cannot help to fall for Tasha. He suffers in silence, believing he is unworthy of her love, while she is far from imagining this is the reason of her presence in his ship.
Braden is such a strong and honorable man, also very sensible, even after a life filled of suffering and humiliation. He has a very successful career but has little experience in the human relationships department, which makes him feel so awkward and vulnerable when he is in Sass’ presence.

From the first pages, I wanted so much that Tasha could see how perfect he was for her and was overjoyed when she finally starts seeing him differently. There’s some trust issues, especially from Tasha who doesn’t know how to deal with the biocybe and her own fear that he might despise her for her past actions.
This is such an intense relationship that’s impossible not to be emotionally involved.

The secondary couple Jace Serafino and Dr. Eden Fynn really work well together. Jace can be a bit annoying with all his confidence but his dry humor is quite refreshing. He has also some secrets of his own…

I couldn’t forget to mention the furzels (imagine cat’s with telepathic powers) – Tank and Reilly - who are such a vivid and tender addition to this story. I had some very good laughs with their antics!

This was a fast paced gripping story with lots of action and twists, deep characters who quickly win your heart and a richly detailed world full of interesting technology.
Now, we have to wait for Shades of Dark (Gabriel’s Ghost sequel) which will be released July 29 but until then you can read Down Home Zombie Blues.

Grade: A

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Games of Command.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Cinco estrelas? Tenho de ler este.

message 3: by Oriana (last edited Mar 11, 2008 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oriana Sem dúvida! Para mim este é um A e a Ana T. que não gosta là muito de sci-fi deu-lhe um B+. Ela escreveu uma review sobre o livro.
Eu tinha o Accidental Goddess para te enviar mas talvez te envie este. O problema com os livros da Linnea Sinclair, pelo menos aqueles que eu já li, é que são mesmo muito bons e entre estes dois e o Gabriel's Ghost, eu não saberia o que escolher.;-)

Ana T. Ah ah gostaste deste!!! Eu também gostei muito!! Sobretudo dele!

Oriana O Kel Paten é maravilhoso! Moi querer um homem assim. E as cartas dele?!*sigh* Este livro esta agora entre os meu preferidos. A ver se escrevo alguma coisa mas nem sei por onde começar.