Lizzie's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, memoir, nonfiction, embarrassing-subway-laughter, new-and-exciting, own
Recommended to Lizzie by: birthday gift from Meg!
Read from June 06 to 10, 2011

3.5 stars, the most emotionally difficult of Goodreads ratings. It's cold to round down, and doormatty to round up. These are the problems I've got, internet.

Anyway, I was so happy to read this, and enjoyed it a ton. I looked forward to picking it up all the time. I was home sick a couple days and read and read between naps. It's rather perfect for this purpose. And a really good subway book. Though the Planned Parenthood story made me laugh so hard I got self-conscious.

Um. Is it weird, though, if I wish some of the book had been funnier? I mean it isn't not funny. Gracious. Don't think it. It's just... I don't know, I don't read a lot of humor (humor reading pedigree: I uh, have never once been interested in picking up a single David Sedaris book), and I don't read a lot of showbiz person book deal products (young adult-level font size and large inline photographs, hey?), so I found the genre made me a little nervous. Because you can tell the author is nervous. Is this a book yet?? Did I do it?

So, the material is slight, and occasionally pieces are way too short or even uncreative (answering hate mail? is this Dooce?), but clearly it was completely a ton of fun to trot through. There are tons of jokes, a lot of insight, and some great stories she'd otherwise have no reason to tell, and it seemed she enjoyed telling these most. I loved the YMCA, the college non-date, getting left by her dad at Pathmark. And I was really, really pleased that the lengthy chapter about the start of both 30 Rock and her Sarah Palin career was so charming and non-indulgent. Loved reading that.

It's also sweet how she expresses her appreciation for parenthood and for women. I like her characterizations of the kind of people who work in comedy with her. (Guys pee in cups, women are super nice. Pretty much how I want to imagine it.) Probably the coolest subject is when she talks straightforwardly about writing, and why improv is a life philosophy. That's not a new idea if you're an improv fan, but a good warm one all the same. And I like this, about how to write: "You can't be that kid standing at the top of the water slide, overthinking it." It's true. Lots of us just never put our damn butts in the water.

For the record I just love that cover photo.

Thanks to Meg; this was a perfect birthday present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

06/06/2011 page 17
6.0% "Just 17 pages, and embarrassing subway laughter. Job well done."