Cbj's Reviews > Solaris

Solaris by Stanisław Lem

Jun 18, 11

Read from June 01 to 18, 2011

My first novel by Lem. Really enjoyed it. Lem has a great imagination. The way he described the "ocean thing" and its various appendages and the color projected by the suns and the ocean itself were spectacular. Lem was trying to create a somewhat epic, monstrous and truly otherworldly entity/creature and he succeeded emphatically. The discussions as to what the purpose of the creature/ocean was and the descriptions of all the literature and conflicting view points on Solaris were very enjoyable. The ending was pretty incredible.If I had not seen the two movies before I read the book, I would have thought that the people in the spaceship were being attacked by some kind of sinister alien entity (they were in a way).

I thought the book was more comic and thrilling than the two movies based on it. But it wasn't overly sentimental or anything - which the movies were. Lem's writing style is weird (in a good way). I haven't read too much of Russian science fiction. Maybe it is something unique to the genre?

One problem I had with the book - Lem seemed to be averse to describing certain details about the relationship between Kelvin and Rheya. Like Kelvin's reaction after the alien Rheya's death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solaris.