Adara's Reviews > Free Me

Free Me by Brita Addams

Dec 29, 11

Read from December 28 to 29, 2011

Edited to add: For what it's worth, I'm very likely to give the expanded edition a try and see if I don't feel differently (than the following review) now that I do know more about BDSM and have a better perspective on things.

Brita, if you read this, I'll do my best not to be mean, but brace yourself because this won't be pretty.

I'm so terribly glad that I read the first two books of the Romeo Club series before this, because if I hadn't, I'm not certain I would have ever picked up another story of hers. I enjoyed the other two quite a lot, so I was stunned to hate this one so much.

The first thing I didn't like was the voice of this story. I don't know that I can put my finger on what about it didn't appeal (I think it felt too much like telling, not showing), but that alone wasn't the big issue. The characters, their words, and their interactions are what killed it for me.

ETA: I feel compelled to add this: I'm not in the BDSM lifestyle, so my perception of what makes a Dom "good" may not be the same as others'. It's a story set on a week-long cruise, so I was not looking for anything long or drawn out in their discussions. But to not even touch on some of these things with a newbie? Seems irresponsible to me. Take the following with that grain of salt.

(view spoiler)

I cannot recommend this story to anyone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Me.

12/28/2011
23.0% "OMG, are you kidding me? This guy is not a Dom. I can't get into this "scene" at all. =("
12/28/2011
23.0% "Newbie sub, no safeword, no limits discussed. Nothing."
12/28/2011
43.0% "Oh, finally a safeword. Still no limits. And the voice isn't appealing either..."
12/29/2011
71.0% "Isn't the purpose of a cock cage to keep you from having a "full blown erection" or are there some that allow it?"
12/29/2011
74.0% "Oh she didn't forget the cock cage. I thought she had." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adara It is good to know I'm not the only one who felt this way. I was re-reading through this going "was it really THAT bad?", but I must've felt that way or I wouldn't have said it the first time.

Adara If I'm not mistaken, she does, actually. Like I said, I'm glad I read her other work first before this.