Julie's Reviews > Magic on the Line

Read from October 25 to 27, 2011

Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Wow.

Wow wow wowwow wow.

Magic on the Line by Devon Monk is the seventh installment in her Allie Beckstrom series and it’s just…wow. Devon said that things really ramp up in this one and boy was she not kidding!

In the last book, there were a couple cases of ‘oopsies’ and ‘who me?’ and maybe some ‘oh crap, did that just happen?’. Magic on the Line is the story of what happened within the Authority after these events took place. And let me tell you, it’s not good.

The book starts off with Allie meeting the new Head of the Authority – the magic governing body of sorts – and he is a bastard. Yes, I said it. I don’t trust him. He’s creepy and slimy and just an overall bad bad man. Bartholomew. Yuk. After her meeting with Bartholomew, Allie starts feeling sick every time she pulls on magic. That is one plot line in this story. There are also crazed Veiled that are maybe or maybe not possessing and infecting people, tainted magic sources, more stupid Authority bullshit, people being chased and running for their lives, a creepy but interesting new doctor character, important characters becoming fugitives AND important characters being Closed! *takes a deep breath* Seriously, this book is a ride.

Allie’s dad was ‘taken care of’ in the last book and I actually enjoyed reading him in this one. His aggressive nature was sort of starting to get on my nerves. But what Terric and Shame did really made daddy Beckstrom more tolerable. He actually surprised me in this book too. He was very helpful to Allie and didn’t push too much. I liked the direction Devon took with him.

Another character that surprised me was Zayvion. I always liked him but he’s so “this is just how it is”
when it came to his job with the Authority. I would never want his job. It must…well, it must suck to be him sometimes. But when he said (blank) and did (blank) I just lost it…in a very good way. I hooted and hollered and popped open the champagne. Okay, I didn’t do that last one because I didn’t have any champagne on hand, but if I did I totally would have popped it open. And of course, you’ll have to read the book to fill in the blanks because I want you all to be as shocked as I was. So so good!

Terric and Shame I can’t get enough of. Shame is always so funny and he has the kind of humor I love. Witty and super sarcastic. If I knew him in real life, I would always be laughing at what he says but I would also want to smack him for it. Terric is someone I love knowing a little more about with each book. I can’t wait to see how everything turns out for him. I want him to have a happy ending. And I want Shame to have one too.

I love Allie. Like, a lot. In each book she’s better and stronger. This book was no exception. She’s really coming into her own and is getting a good grasp at who and what she is. Devon does a great job with making Allie grow as a character without losing what made her so likable in the beginning.

In case I didn’t make it clear in the beginning of my review, I really REALLY enjoyed this installment. Fans of the series will NOT be disappointed. I was bouncing in my seat from the very beginning of this book and at about the 40% mark my jaw hit the floor and pretty much stayed there. Fans of Urban Fantasy books, if you have yet to try this series give it a go. Its unique premise and captivating characters make it a must try. And after reading this latest installment, you will be running to your calendars to circle April 3rd 2012 in big red pen because that’s when book eight, Magic Without Mercy, is due to hit shelves.

As for Magic on the Line, Devon does it again…and then some. This one will blow you away. It had everything I look for in an UF read. It will have everything you look for too.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic on the Line.

10/25/2011 page 1
0.0% "Woot! That is all. ;)"