FicTalk Blog's Reviews > One Hundred Candles

One Hundred Candles by Mara Purnhagen

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-in-2011

Reviewed by Lisa

I was beyond lucky enough to receive an ARC for this novel from netgalley.

One Hundred Candles is the second book in Mara Purnhagen's Past Midnight series. I was completely blown away by this book. A very, very strong sequel, in my opinion. Wickedly intriguing, exciting, and riveting. It was scarier, there were new things happening for Charlotte, for her family. Charlotte's parents were going through a rough patch, She found herself a possible love interest with the cute Harris, even though something seems off there.

I will say that the 'happenings' going on at the school were pretty easy for me to figure out. and I was eager to get to the meat of the book, the development of the new threat. Charlotte and Noah investigating the occurrences at the school brought them closer together, it was sweet to see how much he cared for her, even if Charlotte wasn't so sure how he felt about her. I was definitely smitten with him from the moment we got a description of his eyes. He and Charlotte seemed to have so much in common and they got along really well.

Now onto the juicy bits, I cannot begin to explain how vivid the descriptions of the new evil was...it was definitely creepier than Past Midnight and something else I didn't expect. Charlotte wasn't just dealing with a ghost this time around, but something worse, something that had ill will toward her. This evil felt that she saw too much, knew too much. This could not be allowed. Charlotte needed to suffer, the creature felt that she owed that much for what she was shown.

I don't want to give away too much, but that final showdown was something else. I did not see that coming, it made me sit up and take notice. Some authors tend to shy away from such outcomes, but I was actually glad to see the book end the way it did. Never mind how heart wrenching and devastating it seemed, and the fact that I wanted to shout out and cry at that point. Some authors tend to let you down with all their warnings and foreshadowing of impending doom, but never follow through. I felt like Mara did this, she didn't let me down. It was heartbreaking, but really well done. A really bittersweet ending that left me wanting more!

Cannot wait for September 2011!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Candles.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Mara I'm so glad you liked the book! Beyond the Grave (the final book) has been moved up to an August release date!

FicTalk Blog Ahh! Omg! That is fantastic news for me!
I'm a little scared and a lot anxious to read it!
Lisa