Erin's Reviews > The Green Glass Sea

402002
Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: goochland-library, historical-fiction, ya
Read in February, 2012

I added this book to my to-read list when I saw that it was about the Manhattan Project. That piqued my interest because the first Atomic Bomb was detonated just a little more than 30 miles away from where Andre's father was born and raised. From the tiny town of San Antonio, they could see the extraordinary brightness that lit the sky on "the day the sun rose twice." Of course, at the times, most of them had no idea what it was, even though army- and scientist-types had been in the region working on a secret project.

I've read a little about the project and always wondered how the team could have ever had the arrogance to go forward with the test when they couldn't be sure of what would happen - of whether they would end the world that morning of July 16, 1945. This book touched on that a bit, and especially on how conflicted some of the scientists felt in the wake of the test as they realized that the bomb would not just be used as a threat, but as a weapon.

Since most of this book actually takes place in the Los Alamos compound nearly 250 miles away in the months leading up to the detonation, I didn't get the references to San Antonio that I'd been hoping for. But I did find there was much more to this book than I'd been expecting as an awkward, science-loving girl encounters some of the happiest and some of the saddest days of her life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Green Glass Sea.