Beth Dean's Reviews > Spilled Water

Spilled Water by Sally Grindley

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: historical, other-cultures, thought-provokers
Read in May, 2011

As the blurb says it was heart-wrenching, I couldn't help but hope for Lu Si-yan completely and utterly and what was worse was that this situation happens, all the time and yet I don't even know them or think about it. Of course the concept of sweat shops everyone knows about, or if they don't they really should by now, it's a worldwide issue which HAS to be dealt with. The book is clever in that it filters this issue and yet leaves nothing important about the issue out such as the deductions in wages and impossible working hours with compulsary overtime. However it stays appropriate for a younger audience, hard to do for an author addressing such a hard issue.

She makes the character, relateable to her target audience and shows that simple things can bring a lot of happiness such as the possibility of buying something you love just because YOU like it and not what everyone else likes. The simple love of friends and how important family is to a person. This book inspired me even though it's technically for children , it's been on my to-read shelf for THAT long....anyway I will end up reading them all.....some....day.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spilled Water.