Laurie's Reviews > Secrets

Secrets by S.L. Pierce

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: action, adventure, contemporary, fiction, mystery, kindle, read-in-2011, suspense, thriller
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

Upon opening the book and reading the first few sentences, I was hooked. Gwen Michaels is a former assassin, but when she is attacked in her own home by an unknown assailant, she is thrust back into her element. Impossible for me to put down once started, the story kept me on pins and needles as I followed Gwen’s investigation. I loved being privy to her thoughts and ideas. For Gwen, life is simple, decisions are unambiguous. Gwen is a tough cookie and her fiancé, Jack soon learns things about her past that Gwen had hoped never to reveal. Now Jack must step up because Gwen is determined to protect him, whatever the cost.

I was swept away by this tale. Gwen fascinated me, and I genuinely liked and cared about her. She is not your stereotypical protagonist. As the story progressed, the action was relentless; I loved that the descriptive details were kept to a minimum. I was provided enough information to set the ongoing movie firmly in my mind without having to slog through the minutia. This book is a definite keeper, for me. It is tightly structured with above average editing - I noted a couple of word usage errors and a time/place transition that was disconcerting for a moment, only. If you love fast-paced, action-intensive stories, featuring a fearless, savvy, combat-trained female protagonist with ice in her veins, then you, too, should get this book.

Also Read an Interview with this author on my blog-will go live June 14th.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets.