Chelsea's Reviews > Book of a Thousand Days

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Mar 15, 08

bookshelves: youngadult, fantasy, 2008, historicalfiction, epistolary, own
Read in March, 2008

Hale keeps getting better with each book I read. Dashti is a charming and engaging character, Tegus is wonderful, and I love the way Hale takes real beliefs and traditions and adds just a little edge of fantasy to them.

I've read three of Hale's books, and she seems to have a very different (and consistent) way of treating nobility vs. commoners. The three protagonists so far have been solid, intelligent commoners - and the vast majority of her commoners have been in the same vein. Meanwhile, male members of the nobility have fared pretty well, seeing as they're often romantic fodder (as much as there is romantic fodder in any of Hale's books). But women of the nobility have been weak, vicious, cruel, stupid, crazy - not very flattering portrayals, especially because they weren't all villains.

Saren drove me nuts, crazy little weakling she was, and Isi from Enna Burning was similar, though she at least had half a brain. They're effective foils for her protagonists, I guess.

I thought I knew Lord Khasar's secret, but I was wrong - and Hale gave me all the information I could need, too. Usually I'm much more on top of things.

Nitpicks aside, a wonderful book with a strong main character, scary villain, excellent love interest, and great plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of a Thousand Days.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shannon (Giraffe Days) When I see "Shannon Hale" I just think of Austenland - but she usually writes kids books? I like the sound of this one.