Brian's Reviews > My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition): The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith

My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition) by Kevin Smith

Jun 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: autobiography, film, memoirs, pop-culture, writers, donated
Read from June 01 to 15, 2011

Yeah, you'll learn his morning bathroom habits, his tendency to fall asleep to TiVo'd episodes of The Simpsons or Law & Order, and pretty much any time he runs off to have relations with the wife . . . but that's the kind of thing that makes Kevin Smith so . . . well, Kevin Smith. Smith has always been about brutal honesty, but he's also one of the funniest, most interesting cats around. And in that regard, My Boring Ass Life never disappoints. It's also far from boring, even when Smith gives you every detail of what he ate or purchased on a given day. You'll learn how movies get made, financed, cast and promoted -- including movies that Smith makes, like Clerks 2, as well as those he only acts in, like Catch and Release. You'll shake your head as you watch Smith eat gobs of food then berate himself for being overweight (eventually clocking in at 319 pounds). And in one of the most dramatic parts of the book, you'll cringe then cheer as Smith tries (then fails then finally succeeds) at getting Jason Mewes to kick the drug habit. Through it all, Smith deals with fans, friends, critics, producers, hair dressers, and his fellow nerds with his usual self-deprecating anarchic brand of humor. If you're a fan, I don't need to convince you to read this. If you're not a fan . . . well, it's not exactly Sam Pepys, but it's still full of the kinds of mundane yet compelling bits of minutiae that make for fun reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Boring-Ass Life (New Edition).