Angie's Reviews > Desert Solitaire

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: angie-n-mikes-library, north-american-west, non-fiction, biographies-memoirs-letters, philosophy-religion, mike-likes, angie-s-big-read
Recommended to Angie by: Shane, Mike
Read in April, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: 1+

with Edward Abbey.

4|25|2008: The day I finally finished Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey.
Usually I read books very quickly and all at once. Most books don't take me longer than a few days to finish. I just love stories so much that I don't like to stop once I've started. Desert Solitaire, however, has taken me years to get through. I've started it half a dozen times, and every time I love it, but when I set it down I don't pick it back up again. Then in a month or two, I pick it up again starting over again, of course. I've read the first half of the book several times. Finally I realized I don't have to read the first half over again every time I set it down. So although this time there was a substantial gap between my reading the first part and reading the last, I finally read the entire thing.

I know that taking forever to get through it doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the book. However, it is excellent. There is essentially no plot in the book, and so I never felt that compulsive urge to find out how things are going to go. Instead, the book is like sitting down outside your tent at night, with a seasoned outdoorsman, telling anecdotes & talking philosophy. Abbey is an excellent writer, who helped me envision the areas he wrote about. Throughout the book, I felt challenged to think about his philosophy on life, the wilderness, and everything and decide if I agreed or not.
I've dog-eared about every third or fourth page, to go back to for quotes & to think about some more.

So, I guess, really I'm still not finshed with Desert Solitaire

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Solitaire.