Sarah's Reviews > Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks, great-reads, alltime-faves
Read on May 01, 2011, read count: 1

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. What a great story. I listened to this audiobook whilst walking with my baby and driving hither and thither in the car with my four year old. No swearing and a great plot, perfect for family listening. The narrator did a great job too, with fab voices.

Just trying to describe this to my hubby was rather tricky. It's set in a fantastical UK sometime in the future after the 'Something That Happened' happened. The country is left with a spoon shortage and a list of rules which is arbitrary to say the least. The (majority of the) population is graded at the age of twelve by how much colour they can perceive, and colour is the marker of power. There is a hierarchy of colour, which dictates future relationships and career paths. The citizens collect merits and leave feedback on businesses and people. As in most Fforde books, cake is highly prized, (hence the spoons?!!) and there are 'extras' in the community (think of the Neanderthals in the Thursday Next books).

I've been thinking back fondly of this book and am looking forward to either listening to it again, or reading the second instalment of this tale of colour, which ever happens first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Grey.