Stephanie Western's Reviews > The Unhealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick And What We Can Do About It

The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O'Brien

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011, nonfiction, hippieness
Read on June 01, 2011

The 4 stars is based on the importance of the subject matter, NOT on the writing. Wish the co-author had tried harder to get rid of the redundancies. (She said "shocking" again. DRINK!). If you've read anything by Michael Pollan or watched Food, Inc. you already know our food production system (and the head honchos who have lawmakers and enforcement agencies in their pocket$) are evil. But this book talks specifically about kids and how food additives, colors, and genetically-modified ingredients that are so popular in "kid foods" are likely contributing to their increasing health problems (see: allergies, ADHD, Type II diabetes, etc.)

I was mostly reading for the second part, where the author gives advice on how to clean up your family's diet. Her tips are good, but she seems scared that she will put people off if she gives it to them straight. So she'll say things like, "Try using HALF the packet of fluorescent powdered chemicals in your kids' Kraft Mac 'n Cheese." ALSO, did you know that Kraft took the artificial colors OUT of the boxes they ship to England and other countries? That's because England told them where they could put that crap. (In the Americans' food, obviously.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unhealthy Truth.