Sarah's Reviews > Elixir

Elixir by Davis Bunn

Jun 01, 11

Read in January, 2010

Taylor Knox has been sent to find one of his ex girlfriends who has mysteriously disappeared. Sounds straightforward, but she’s the younger sister of the CEO of a company who is buying out Taylor’s employers. And as soon as he starts asking questions, his life is threatened. He’ll have to travel halfway across the world to track Kirra and whatever she is chasing, unless what’s chasing after him catches up first.

I didn’t realize this book was written by the same author who wrote “The Centurion’s Wife” along with Janette Oak. I’m not really a fan of most Christian fiction – for the most part it usually shies away from attacking the tough stuff, or it just kind of floats along until a resolution magically presents itself. (OK, not magically, but you get the picture). And most Christian fiction is trashy romance novels for women who would like to think they’d never read trashy romance novels, there’s rarely a science fiction book out there. This one, while still a bit sci-fi, is still very blatantly Christian. The plot takes second stage to what is going on in Taylor’s soul and heart…which is probably good because otherwise the plot would be so easy to figure out that the book would nearly become obsolete. The characters are interesting enough, but we rarely get to spend enough time with them for them to be really vivid. Taylor is the only one we follow all the time and he’s so predictable it’s almost a relief when things don’t go his way.

If you enjoy things like Janette Oak and Francine Rivers on a regular basis (that’s not my cup of tea) then you will probably enjoy this book. It’s told from a man’s point of view, so there’s not as much feminine wavering back and forth and angst. There’s just enough science in it to rate science fiction and the plot basis is original, though not expanded on nearly enough for my preferences.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elixir.